Saturday, October 17, 2009

one of the more pointless requests

"Excuse me. What are some of God's blessings? I'm trying to list them. Can you help me out? I have Freedom, Church, Country, Justice, Mercy, Grace, Trees, Stars, Skies, Schools, Professors, and Public Transit."

--out-of-the-blue request from a young man with a mousy face and a Bible always in his hands, on the 144 bus

My initial reactions:

1) I'm surprised homeboy didn't think of Jesus.
2) This is probably the only time in human history that Country, Mercy, and Professors have been on a list together.
3) He seemed like he was coming from a sincere place. Other passengers offered suggestions like Laughter, Love and Home, and for each one he repeated it back to them, nodded his head, and added it to the list. Impressively noncontroversial.
4) But if he said Prisons, I probably would have punched him.

Also: Public Transit? WTF?!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, agreed, I don't think they came up with that one. Unless Friends is a subcategory of Love.

    With Friends like these, who needs Public Transit?

    ReplyDelete